SAN ANGELO — The waters on Lake Nasworthy will be quieter than years past after officials Wednesday announced Wake the Desert 2020 had been canceled due to the coronavirus.
Up until 2020, organizers had said it was one of the longest-running wakeboarding and wake-surfing contests in the world with competitors who arrived from across the globe.
“We are extremely sad to announce that there will be no Wake The Desert 2020,” stated a social media post made June 24, 2020, on Wake the Desert’s official Facebook page.
“For the safety of our riders, spectators, and team members as many of you travel in from all over the world to ride and attend, we can’t bare the risk of exposing our team members and locals to COVID-19,” a spokesperson said.
Next month would have marked the 20th year of the event normally held at Middle Concho Park. Organizers said they would use the time to create a “bigger and better” Wake the Desert 2021.